Whether it's surfing, sailing, walking, cycling, horse riding, golf or sampling some of the finest restaurants, Cornwall is the all-year-round holiday destination that has it all.
The Malthouse is situated in the peaceful Hamlet of Treburrick, just a 15 minute walk from Porthcothan Bay.
Porthcothan is a beautiful bay, popular with families, with a small stream running across the sandy beach, which is sheltered by sand dunes and headland. At low tide there are numerous rock pools and other nooks and crannies to poke around in.
Porthcothan is a dog friendly beach all year round and opposite the beach you will find the main car park with toilets just a short stroll away, there is also a lifeguard patrol between May and September.
Porthcothan Bay Stores is situated on the path to the beach, it sells general groceries, drinks and snacks they also hire out wet suits, body boards and deckchairs, they also have a cashpoint machine.
Other fabulous beaches in the area are:
- Treyarnon Bay is an excellent family beach with lots of sand and rock pools and can be used for surfing.
- Constantine Bay is a wide sandy beach with many rock pools and plenty of sand. The beach is popular with surfers.
- Boobys Bay is a wide sandy beach with many rock pools and popular with surfers. Park at Treyarnon Bay or Constantine Bay and walk the coast path to Boobys Bay.
- Harlyn Bay is a wide and spacious beach popular with families and surfers. The coast path can be walked from Harlyn Bay to Mother Iveys Bay and Trevose Head.
- Bedruthan Steps is a large sandy beach dwarfed by spectacular rock outcrops. The beach at Bedruthan Steps is closed in winter, opening again on March 1st.
- Mawgan Porth is an excellent wide sandy beach with sand even at high tide. Toilets and parking are close to the beach and the 'Merrymoor Inn' is just over the road serving great food all day during the summer season. Good child and dog friendly garden too!
- Watergate Bay is an excellent mile long beach with good surfing and also plenty of sand for families. It is also home to Jamie Oliver's Fifteen restaurant to keep the 'foodies' happy.
All these beaches are dog friendly throughout the year.
The Eden Project
The magnificent Eden Project is approximately 30 minutes drive from The Malthouse and well worth a visit.
The Camel Trail
One of the most popular recreational routes in the country, the Camel Trail runs from Padstow to Poley's Bridge, via Wadebridge and Bodmin. The trail passes through the wooded countryside of the upper Camel Valley and alongside the picturesque Camel Estuary.
The traffic free trail follows the route of an old railway and is ideal for family cycling as it is fairly level all the way and the views of moorland, woodland and estuary are spectacular.
You can hire bikes from the following:
St Eval Kart Circuit
Located just 1 mile from The Malthouse, St. Eval Kart Racing Circuit is a massive outdoor 1.2km track which is designed to cater for 7 years olds and above, and for all group sizes.
It does not get any bigger and better than this, as it is the UK's biggest children's kart circuit, and the Southwest's largest and fastest adult kart circuit. It is also the only one of its kind in Devon and Cornwall.
Just a short walk from the house, MacDonald's farm welcome day visitors to spend some time with little ones in their playground or meeting the animals. They serve excellent food, an excellent selection of drinks and have live music on some nights too! Please check out their website for more info https://www.macdonaldsfarm.co.uk/day-visits/
If you would like any more information about local attractions, please do get in touch. We're happy to help.